Sunday, February 14, 2010

Residence slightly damaged by fire

About one o'clock last Saturday afternoon, the residence of Dr. R.J. McCabe was found to be on fire, but the prompt action of the citizens prevented what might have been a serious conflagration. 
The fire evidently caught from sparks from the stove chimney as the roof was in a blaze near the flue, but not immediately around it.
When discovered, the fire had probably been burning but a very short while, as only a small place in the roof was damaged.
As Dr. McCabe's building is the first of a long range of wooden structures, there can be no doubt that the entire block would have burned had the fire not been checked in its incipiency, and it is well that it was discovered in time to prevent a conflagration.
The County Record, April 22, 1897

No comments:

Post a Comment